History of the Schools
Through the years, additional buildings and grounds were added to accommodate the increasing enrollment. Currently the main campus consists of sixteen major buildings situated on 79 acres of land. The West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind hold a special place in the history of this state, this county and community. The school has been crucial in the economic development of this area, as well as the drawing card for many wonderful individuals and families who have come to call Romney their permanent home.
We are proud that the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind has provided quality educational services to more than four thousand eight hundred children. These schools continue to serve as a residential and day school program, and also offer expanded pre-school services and technical assistance throughout the state.
WV Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Historical Perspective 1870-2010 by Dr. Patsy Shank (August, 2010)
The West Virginia TABLET was a local publication that contained records of events, written by the students and staff of the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
These wonderful collections of information and history were published once a month during the scholastic year, and all mechanical work was done by students during printing and linotyping classes. The Tablets were entered as Second-Class matter at the Post Office of Romney, West Virginia and could also be purchased at a per annum subscription price.
The full 1945-1988 TABLET publications can be read below.
The West Virginia TABLET 1945-1988